Sunday 27 January 2013

Lush Review


I’ve always been slightly sceptical with regards to Lush’s solid facial cleansers. Don’t get me wrong- I completely embrace their all natural, no cruelty ethics with regards to cosmetics, but having spent the past 2 years using Clinique’s 3-Step Skincare system to keep my troublesome skin vaguely happy I never felt the need to search for an alternative. Even when I visited various Lush stores and had sales assistants plugging their facial cleansers as “miracle workers”, I could never get past the doughy consistency and secretly worried that they’d upset my skin more than actually soothing it. That all changed when Lush launched their 2012 Christmas collection and introduced “Let The Good Times Roll” facial cleanser. Described as an “A Maize In, gentle facial wash” and packed full of delicious ingredients such as popped corn oil, polenta, maize flour and cinnamon, my chronic sweet tooth overrode my preconceptions and I decided that if I was going to try something from Lush’s skincare range, this was going to be the one for me.

I received “Let The Good Times Roll” for Christmas along with a little bottle of “It’s Raining Men” and a free sample of “Ambrosia” shaving cream that I donated to a male friend with sensitive skin, and I can safely say that I was not disappointed. Open opening the pot, I was greeted with a smell reminiscent of butterscotch Angel Delight combined with honey. I spent a good 10 minutes sat in the living room resisting the urge to sneak a taste before putting the actual content to the test. Sure, it smelt like an explosion in a fudge factory but would it actually do anything for my excruciatingly awkward skin?

The instructions were fairly basic- all I had to do was take a small blob of the mixture, dilute it slightly with water so that I could mix it into a paste and then massage it into my face. As I normally wash my face in the shower, I was expecting the mix to run straight off my hands and down the plughole, but the paste was a lot more resilient than my usual liquid face wash and I managed to cleanse without any problems. As well as the mouth-watering butterscotch aroma, I was pleasantly surprised by its ability to cleanse AND exfoliate at the same time without scratching my face to pieces. As I have combination skin, it’s difficult for me to find skincare that does a good job of controlling oil and soothing the dry patches at the same time, but “Let The Good Times Roll” did an amazing job of targeting my shiny areas without irritating the more sensitive areas of my face. As odd as this is going to sound, I was pretty surprised by the taste of it too. Before you go thinking that I’ve reached a new level of low where food is concerned, I didn’t resort to eating a cosmetic product because I was feeling a bit peckish and couldn’t be bothered to nip to the corner shop. It’s just common knowledge that generic soap-based cleansers don’t exactly taste like rainbows and sunshine if you inadvertently get some on your mouth. But “Let The Good Times Roll” not only doubles up as a pretty good lip scrub, it also tastes like caramelised sugar. A cleanser and a tasty treat, who’d have thought it?

I’ve been using it regularly for just under a month now and the difference it’s made to my skin has been nothing short of astounding. I very rarely get spots or blemishes anymore and I don’t feel the need to smother my face in its usual layers of concealer and foundation to mask the redness brought on by dry patches. The only downside I initially had was knowing that Lush would inevitably remove it from their shelves because it was part of their Christmas line. But good news- I had a word with the staff at Lush Leeds who informed me that the product had done so well that they would be keeping it as a permanent fixture in their skincare line all year round- HOORAY!

If you’re looking to try Lush’s skincare out for the first time, want something to keep troublesome skin at bay or just love the idea of smelling like sticky-toffee pudding, I can’t recommend “Let The Good Times Roll” enough. At £5.95 for a 100g pot it is a little more expensive than your standard face wash from Superdrug, but a little goes a long way and the results are definitely worth the extra couple of quid.

"Let The Good Times Roll" is available at any UK Lush Store or from their website
What are your thoughts on Lush products? 

No comments:

Post a Comment